High Throughput Colorimetric ATPase Assays (inc. PiColorLock)
High Throughput Colorimetric ATPase Assays
This non radioactive colorimetric assay kit contains all the necessary reagents for measuring enzyme activity (everything included in the PiColorlock™ reagent and more) and is ideal for high throughput drug screening.
The kits contain PiColorlock™, a non-radioactive, superior phosphate detection reagent.
Key features of PiColorLock™ include:
- Colorimetric Assay – competitor assays are radioactive.
- Special additive ensures low backgrounds with acid-labile substrates.
- Unparalleled stability of phosphate-dye complexes.
- Reagent is compatible with almost any assay buffer.
- No inhibition of color development by high concentrations of protein.
- Stable reagent formulation - long shelf life.
How it works:
Colorimetric assays for ATPases are invariably based on the formation of colored complexes between an inorganic phosphate and a dye molecule under acidic conditions.
Comparison with competitors:
Competitor assays are beset with several problems including reagent precipitation. The high stability of PiColorLock™ ensures high stability of the colored dye-phosphate complexes (green color- see left).
Please do not hesitate to Contact us to find out more!
Components in the 2-plate ATP assay kit (5-plate kit amounts in brackets)
Store at 4°C:
1 x 10ml of PiColorLock™* (1 x 25ml)
1 x 0.25ml of Accelerator (1 x 0.5ml)
1 x 5ml of Stabiliser (1 x 10ml)
1 x 1.5ml of 0.1M MgCl2 (2 x 1.5ml)
1 x 5ml of 0.5M Tris pH 7.5 (1 x 10ml)
1 x 5ml of 0.1mM Pi standard (1 x 10ml)
*Take care, the solution is very acidic
Store at -20 or -70oC
4 vials of lyophilized ATP (10 vials)
Store at room temperature
2 x 96-well plates (5 plates)
Figure 1. ATP has been incubated in three detection reagents. A steadily rising background signal is seen with competitor reagents, whereas PiColorLock™ gives baseline readings.
Figure 2. PiColorLock has also been designed to have a large linear range, thus reducing the need for sample dilution. For the purposes of comparison, data for PiColorLock ALS reagent (no longer available) is also shown, as it provides similar absorbance values to competitor products, at least at low levels of inorganic phosphate. Competitors’ products are linear over a much narrower range of concentrations.
For more information, please watch our webinar on drug screening-assays for phosphate-generating enzymes below:
I have a high background in my ATPase assay and I definitely do not have free phosphate in my sample
This is almost always due to inadequate mixing of the special stabiliser with the sample and detection reagent. Make sure the stabiliser is pipetted up and down several times to ensure thorough mixing.
I would like to measure the conversion of pyrophosphate to phosphate. Can I use the PiColorLock Phosphate Detection System for this purpose?
Yes, only the phosphate will give a signal; pyrophosphate will not.
I have 5% DMSO in my assay. Can I use PiColorLock?
Yes, the reagent is designed for drug screening work and other situations that require DMSO.
I have phosphate in my enzyme. What can I do?
You can dialyse or desalt the enzyme into a phosphate-free buffer. Alternatively, you can use a special resin (PiBind) to remove the phosphate.
- The MinD homolog FlhG regulates the synthesis of the single polar flagellum of Vibrio alginolyticus - Molecular Microbiology (2015)
- Herpesviral G Protein-Coupled Receptors Activate NFAT to Induce Tumor Formation via Inhibiting the SERCA Calcium ATPase - PLoS Pathogens (2015)
- Double-stranded DNA translocase activity of transcription factor TFIIH and the mechanism of RNA polymerase II open complex formation - PNAS (2015)
- Cyclic nucleotide dependent ATPase activity in inside out vesicles from human erythrocytes - Masters Thesis (2015)
- Physiological and biochemical characteristics of laboratory induced mutants of Botrytis cinerea with resistance to fluazinam - Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology (2014)
- Suramin Inhibits Hsp104 ATPase and Disaggregase Activity - PLoS One (2014)
- A helminth cathelicidin-like protein suppresses antigen processing and presentation in macrophages via inhibition of lysosomal vATPase - The FASEB Journal (2014)
- Structure of CbpA J-Domain Bound to the Regulatory Protein CbpM Explains Its Specificity and Suggests Evolutionary Link between CbpM and Transcriptional Regulators - PLoS One (2014)
- Deregulation of Mitochondrial ATPsyn-? in Acute Myeloid Leukemia Cells and with Increased Drug Resistance - PLoS One (2013)
- Antagonistic Interaction between Adenosine A2A Receptors and Na+/K+-ATPase-?2 Controlling Glutamate Uptake in Astrocytes - Journal of Neuroscience (2013)
- Potent in vitro Interference of Fleroxacin in DNA-binding, Unwinding and
ATPase Activities of Bloom Helicase - Biomedical and Environmental Sciences (2013)
- Bcl-2 associated athanogene 5 (Bag5) is overexpressed in prostate cancer and
inhibits ER-stress induced apoptosis - BMC Cancer (2013)
- Survival of Bifidobacterium longum 1941 microencapsulated with proteins and sugars after freezing and freeze drying - Food Research International (2013)
- Mutations in DNA2 Link Progressive Myopathy to Mitochondrial DNA Instability - American Journal of Human Genetics (2013)
- P. gingivalis-Nucleoside-diphosphate-kinase Inhibits ATP-Induced Reactive-Oxygen-Species via P2X7 Receptor / NADPH-Oxidase Signaling and Contributes to Persistence - Cellular Microbiology (2012)
- Novel 2, 4-Pyrimidine Derivatives And Use Thereof - European Patent (2012)
- Caveolin-1 regulates proliferation and osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells - Journal of Cellular Biochemistry (2012)
- Common Pathogenic Effects of Missense Mutations in the P-Type ATPase ATP13A2 (PARK9) Associated with Early-Onset Parkinsonism - PLOS One (2012)
- Structure of the VirB4 ATPase, alone and bound to the core complex of a type IV secretion system - PNAS (2012)
- Peroxisomal proteostasis involves a Lon family protein that functions as protease and chaperone - JBC (2012)
- Xeroderma pigmentosum group F protein binds to Eg5 and is required for proper mitosis: implications for XP-F and XFE - Genes to Cells (2012)
- hSWS1·SWSAP1 Is an Evolutionarily Conserved Complex Required for Efficient Homologous Recombination Repair - JBC (2011)
- Enzyme Stability of Microencapsulated Bifidobacterium animalis ssp. lactis Bb12 after Freeze Drying and during Storage in Low Water Activity at Room Temperature - Journal of Food Science (2011)
- Digitoxin and a synthetic monosaccharide analog inhibit cell viability in lung cancer cells - Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology (2011)
- Functional defect caused by the 4544G>A SNP in ABCC2: potential impact for drug cellular disposition - Pharmacogenetics and Genomics (2011)
- A Common Variant in TFB1M Is Associated with Reduced Insulin Secretion and Increased Future Risk of Type 2 Diabetes - Cell Metabolism (2011)
- Overexpression of the Endoplasmic Reticulum Chaperone BiP3 Regulates XA21-Mediated Innate Immunity in Rice – PLoS One (2010)
- Identification of gp96 as a Novel Target for Treatment of Autoimmune Disease in Mice - PLoS One (2010)
- Antimicrobial Mechanism of Action of Transferrins: Selective Inhibition of H+-ATPase - Antimicrob Agents Chemother. (2010)
- Modulation of UvrD Helicase Activity by Covalent DNA-Protein Cross-links - Biol Chem. (2010)
- Monoclonal antibodies against nucleoside triphosphate hydrolase-II can reduce the replication of Toxoplasma gondii - Parasitology (2010)
- Biochemical Dissection of the ATPase TraB, the VirB4 Homologue of theEscherichia coli pKM101 Conjugation Machinery - J. Bacteriol. (2010)
- Identification of gp96 as a Novel Target for Treatment of Autoimmune Disease in Mice – PLoS One (2010)
- ATP-binding cassette-like transporters are involved in the transport of lignin precursors across plasma and vacuolar membranes - PNAS (2010)
- Arabidopsis stromal 70-kDa heat shock proteins are essential for chloroplast development - Planta (2010)
- Lipopeptide induces apoptosis in fungal cells by a mitochondria-dependent pathway - Peptides (2010)
- Modulation of a Schistosoma mansoni multidrug transporter by the antischistosomal drug praziquantel - The FASEB Journal (2010)
- Biosynthesis of (Bacterio)chlorophylls ATP-Dependent Transient Subunit Interaction And Electron Transfer Of Dark Operative Protochlorophyllide Oxireductase - JBC (2010)
- Stress-Dependent Coordination of Transcriptome and Translatome in Yeast - PLoS Biology (2009)
- Crystal Structure of a Novel Conformational State of the Flavivirus NS3 Protein: Implications for Polyprotein Processing and Viral Replication - J Virol (2009)
- ATP and MO25? Regulate the Conformational State of the STRAD? Pseudokinase and Activation of the LKB1 Tumour Suppressor – PLoS Biol (2009)
- Apratoxin A Reversibly Inhibits the Secretory Pathway by Preventing Cotranslational Translocation - Molecular Pharmacology (2009)
- NS4A regulates the ATPase activity of the NS3 helicase: a novel cofactor role of the non-structural protein NS4A from West Nile virus - Journal of General Virology (2009)
- Evidence That Two ATP-Dependent (Lon) Proteases in Borrelia burgdorferi Serve Different Functions - PLoS Pathogens (2009)
- ATP and MO25? Regulate the Conformational State of the STRAD? Pseudokinase and Activation of the LKB1 Tumour Suppressor - PLoS Biology (2009)
- Stress-Dependent Coordination of Transcriptome and Translatome in Yeast - PLoS Biology (2009)
- An Afg2/Spaf-Related Cdc48-like AAA ATPase Regulates the Stability and Activity of the C. elegans Aurora B Kinase AIR-2 - Developmental Cell (2008)
- Staphylococcus aureus HrtA Is an ATPase Required for Protection against Heme Toxicity and Prevention of a Transcriptional Heme Stress Response - Journal of Bacteriology (2008)
- ATP scavenging by the intracellular pathogen Porphyromonas gingivalis inhibits P2X7-mediated host-cell apoptosis - Cell Microbiol. (2008)
- The Two-component NS2B-NS3 Proteinase Represses DNA Unwinding Activity of the West Nile Virus NS3 Helicase - JBC (2008)
- Functional characterization of the nucleotide binding domain of the Cryptosporidium parvum CpABC4 transporter: An iron–sulfur cluster transporter homolog - Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology (2008)
- Hippocampal levels of gamma-enolase, C-1-tetrahydrofolate synthase and serotransferrin fluctuate over the estrous cycle in the rat - Neuroscience (2008)
- Consumption of Soy Protein Isolate Modulates the Phosphorylation Status of Hepatic ATPase/ATP Synthase ß Protein and Increases ATPase Activity in Rats - J. Nutr. (2007)
- First identification and functional characterization of an immunogenic protein in unculturable haemotrophic Mycoplasmas (Mycoplasma suis HspA1) - FEMS Immunology & Medical Microbiology (2007)
- Identification, structure and mode of action of a new regulator of the Helicobacter pylori HP0525 ATPase - EMBO J. (2007)
- Proteome Profiling in the Rat Harderian Gland - J Proteome Res (2006)
- Antifungal Activity and Biochemical Response of Cuminic Acid against Phytophthora capsici Leonian - Molecules (2016)
- Remote ischemic perconditioning attenuates ischemia/reperfusion‐induced downregulation of AQP2 in rat kidney - Physiol. Rep. (2016)
- Functional Characterization of ABCA3 Mutations from Infants with Respiratory Distress Syndrome - Am. J. Respir. Cell Mol. Biol. (2016)
- Structure-based mutagenesis of STIV B204 reveals essential residues in the virion-associated DNA packaging ATPase - J. Virol. (2016)
- Dual ATPase and GTPase activity of the replication-associated protein (Rep) of beak and feather disease virus - Virus Res. (2015)
- Characterization of a cadmium resistance Lactococcus lactissubsp. lactis strain by antioxidant assays and proteome profiles methods - Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology (2016)
- Isolation of Intact and Functional Melanosomes from the Retinal Pigment Epithelium - PLoS One (2016)
- ARD1-mediated Hsp70 acetylation balances stress-induced protein refolding and degradation - Nature Commun. (2016)
- The Biophysical Characterisation and SAXS Analysis of Human NLRP1 Uncover a New Level of Complexity of NLR Proteins - PLoS One (2016)
- Identification and Characterization of Novel Compounds Blocking Shiga Toxin Expression in Escherichia coli O157:H7 - Front. Microbiol. (2016)
- Dissecting biochemical peculiarities of the ATPase activity of TcSub2, a component of the mRNA export pathway in Trypanosoma cruzi - Int J Biol Macromol. (2017)
- Structural studies of apolipoprotein A-I and ATP-binding cassette A1 and their roles in nascent high density lipoprotein biogenesis - Boston University Theses & Dissertations (2017)
- Piglets Are Vulnerable to Intestinal Inflammation and Infection Because of Expression of Low-Affinity Jejunal Alkaline Phosphatase Activities - The FASEB Journal (2017)